University library to host ‘Late Night at the Library’

Erin Vanjo

Kent State University Libraries is encouraging students to stay on campus and enjoy the library during their first weekend back to campus.

This year, the “Late Night at the Library” event will take place on August 24 from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.

“Students get to see the library in a new way,” said Diane Sperko, director of communications and marketing for University Libraries.

All students are welcome to attend the event, but freshmen are especially encouraged to attend because the event facilitates an introduction to the library for them.

“They’ll experience the variety of library spaces available to them as well as some of the friendly staff and faculty who are here to assist them in their coursework,” said Jaime Seeholzer, University Libraries first year experience librarian.

University Libraries will be providing various activities for students, including a Nintendo Wii with games such as “Just Dance” and “Rock Band.”

“Representatives from the Portage Country Library will be around to sign students up for library cards at local libraries, and Undergraduate Student Senate will be there to register students to vote in the presidential election this fall,” Seeholzer said.

Something students enjoyed last year that will be returning again this year is the black squirrel mascot.

“The black squirrel will be making the rounds again and posing for photographs which will be displayed on the libraries’ Facebook profile,” Seeholzer said.

Free drinks and popcorn be provided for everyone that attends, and there will also be music provided by Black Squirrel Radio DJs.

“The event is lighthearted and fun and provides new friends a chance to hang out and get to know each other,” Seeholzer said.

Not only is this a chance for students to have fun, it is also a chance for University Libraries’ librarians to meet the students they may be working with in the future.

“For the library, we benefit by interacting with so many of the incoming freshmen, and we can meet students when they’re not stressing out about writing papers or finding books and articles,” Seeholzer said. “It’s a chance for everyone to just have fun together.”

The event will take place on the first floor of the University Library.

Contact Erin Vanjo at [email protected].