Halloween guidance released, people from out of town discouraged from coming to Kent

Kent State University and the City of Kent released guidance for Halloween this year, emphasizing to community members and students to not attend or hold mass gatherings of more than 10 people.

In a press release, KSU, Kent City Health Department and Kent Police said they are working together to try to slow the spread of coronavirus in Kent. Cases in Portage County have stayed at a level 3 since Oct. 8. 

People from out of town are encouraged not to come to Kent for Halloween to slow the spread of coronavirus. 

“While we empathize with our downtown bars and restaurants in their economic struggles because of COVID-19, we must also acknowledge the potential health consequences of large gatherings,” said Kent Police Department Lieutenant Michael Lewis. 

Kent Police will be monitoring the city heavily during the weekend of Halloween, and “…will strictly enforce our long-standing city ordinances of prohibiting parties that generate unlawful noise, underage consumption, disorderly conduct…” according to Lewis. 

This guidance comes from recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the state of Ohio. 

Molly Heideman is a general assignment editor. Contact her at [email protected]

SUPPORT STUDENT MEDIA 

Hi, I’m Lauren Sasala, a senior journalism student from Toledo. I’m also the editor in chief of The Kent Stater and KentWired this semester. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important news about Kent State and the Kent community. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate.