Stark Film Festival is a hit

Senior Ashley Meinke at the premiere of Kent State Stark campus first ever film festival April 10. Meinke created the event for her senior thesis project. . Photo by Katie Paukst.

Senior Ashley Meinke at the premiere of Kent State Stark campus’ first ever film festival April 10. Meinke created the event for her senior thesis project. . Photo by Katie Paukst.

Katie Paukst

Kent State Stark campus’ first ever film festival went off without a hitch Tuesday night. A red carpet was laid out for guests, free popcorn was served and paparazzi were flashing their cameras.

For Ashley Meinke’s honors thesis project, she decided to create a film festival for students from all Kent State campuses to submit short films to be judged by area professionals.

“I feel a sense of relief and joy that it went so well,” Meinke, senior communications studies major, said. “It went great with everything from the technical standpoint to the volunteers to the audience outcome. I was pleasantly surprised.”

A total of 21 students submitted their short films to the competition. Genres included everything from comedies to documentaries to music videos. Students from the Stark campus participated in the competition as well as students from Kent State main campus.

Matt Daugherty, attendee of the film festival and junior sports administration major at Kent State Main, said, “I really enjoyed it. There were some great videos, and if there was ever another one, I would definitely come again.”

After all submissions were viewed, the winner was chosen by four judges: Leslie Heaphy, associate professor of history and honors program coordinator; James Water, coordinator of the Canton Film Festival; Dave Andrews, local producer and director; and Kelleigh Miller, executive producer of films and commercials around the world.

Alex Rodia, senior electronic media production major from Kent Main, won the grand prize with his short film “The I.D.” The film is about a college student who starts a fake I.D. business and eventually gets caught.

“It feels good to win,” Rodia said. “The event was fantastic. I enjoyed all of the films.”

Rodia said his friend came up with the idea over spring break. From there, he and his roommate filmed and edited the movie. It all took roughly one week.

Rodia received $2,500 worth of media composer editing software for his win.

“Film is my passion, and since I graduate in May, I hope to pursue that passion and make it into a career,” he said.

Meinke said she was extremely happy with how her hard work paid off.

“I just want to thank everyone who helped me with this project, the volunteers, my teachers and my parents for guiding me through this,” Meinke said at the end of the show. “I could not have done this with out you all.”

Contact Katie Paukst at [email protected].