PHSA to host public health fair

Samara Sands

PHSA to host public health fair

In honor of National Public Health Week, the Public Health Student Alliance will be hosting its second annual public health fair Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the second floor lobby of the Student Center.

The theme of this year’s fair is “A Healthier You Starts Today” and will offer activities such as free health screenings, health information and health career opportunities including internships, future jobs and volunteer work.

Wednesday, April 4

What: Portage County Walking Clubs Kickoff

When: Noon

Where: Student Center parking lot (next to balloons)

Monday, April 9

National Alcohol Screening Day

When: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Where: Student Center Ballroom

Friday, April 20

Art for Cancer Silent Auction

When: 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Where: Kent Student Center Room 306

Tickets can be purchased from PHSA table April 1-4, 1st floor Student Center

Frank Henry-Ala, executive board member of the Public Health Student Alliance, said the theme reflects many of the overall health concerns today.

“Obesity is a huge issue right now,” he said. “A lot of people are trying to diet and lose weight, and there are a lot of initiatives out there in order to decrease obesity, so ‘A Healthier You Starts Today’ is a theme of how to go about doing that.”

There will be many key exhibitors including The U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), GOJO (the creators of Purell hand sanitizer), The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), Akron General Health and Wellness and various other organizations.

Some of the free health screenings and services available include body composition, BMI calculations, cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure testing.

Henry-Ala said he hoped people can come and take advantage of the free health screenings and health information at the fair.

“The best way to lower the risk of adverse health effects is through primary prevention, which includes education aimed at reducing risky behaviors and secondary prevention, which includes screenings,” he said.

The fair is free and open to the public. Anyone who attends will earn 500 Flash Perks points and be entered into a raffle drawing for a chance to win various prizes.

Contact Samara Sands at [email protected].