157 Lounge to face the Ohio Liquor Control Commission for repeated coronavirus health violations

Megan BeckerReporter

157 Lounge in downtown Kent received a citation from the Ohio Investigative Unit (OIU) Saturday night for coronavirus health violations. 

Undercover OIU agents witnessed around 100 people in the bar with little social distancing. 

According to the OIU, the bar will have a hearing with the Ohio Liquor Control Commission to determine possible penalties.

“The commission generally has broad discretion in determining the appropriate penalty in any given case,” said Sarah Creedon, executive director of the Ohio Liquor Control Commission. “The commission has the authority to issue a suspension or revocation, and in most cases, may allow the permit holder the opportunity to pay a financial forfeiture in lieu of serving the suspension or revocation.”

The commission determines the penalty based on several factors such as the severity and nature of the violation, the bar’s prior record and any other relevant information, said Creedon.

The citation arrived after the lounge was referred to the Ohio State Highway Patrol by the Kent City Health Department for not following COVID-19 health guidelines.

157 Lounge did not return calls or emails requesting for comment.

Megan Becker is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]

SUPPORT STUDENT MEDIA 

Hi, I’m Lauren Sasala, a senior journalism student from Toledo. I’m also the editor in chief of The Kent Stater and KentWired this semester. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important news about Kent State and the Kent community. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate.