Drag queens take over Student Center

Dianna Warwick

Drag queens took over the Student Center Ballroom last night as they entertained almost 600 students with dancing and singing. Kent Interhall Council raised more than $460 for Relay for Life as it hosted its first spring drag show.

Danyel Vasquez was the host and was quite the comedian. Wearing the flashiest outfits and makeup that could be seen a mile away, Danyel and her four friends, Jessica Love, Wilamenia Josefenia, Chanel McQueen and Brionna Brooks performed dances, lip-synched and conversed with the audience. They used nothing but vulgar language and referenced sex in any way possible.

This drag show, however, was not just any ordinary show. Kent Interhall Council put it on in order to raise money for Relay for Life. KIC usually hosts the Drag Show in the fall for Sex Week, and this is the first time they have done it in the spring.

Katie Clarkin, director of community development for KIC, planned the event and said the performers were really interested in coming back for a spring show.

“We thought that would be something the students would really like since it was such a success in the fall,” Clarkin said. “Then we decided to turn it so it links with another program and can really benefit our community.”

Aside from raising money, KIC wanted to help create awareness of other people’s sexuality that might be different.

“I really want the show to broaden the way people look at things,” said Danielle Melidona, vice president of programming and development for KIC. “People shouldn’t judge before they understand. It’s important to be sensitive to others even if you don’t agree with their sexuality.”

Most students were really excited about the show. Mike Roberto, freshman exercise science major, said he had been to one before and that he liked it so much he was back for more.

“I really liked what they had to offer,” Roberto said. “I liked their sassiness.”

Other students who had never experienced a drag show, like Marlena Lenchak, freshman political science major, said they would definitely see another one if given the opportunity.

“It was absolutely hilarious,” Lanchak said. “They don’t hold anything back and just say what is on their mind.”

The show lasted two hours, with a booty-shaking contest during intermission for the students. Six volunteer contestants were brought on stage to shake what their mama gave them, while the audience voted for their favorite.

Clarkin said she was more than pleased with the amount of money they raised.

“I am so impressed by the students here and their generosity,” Clarkin said. “I know how hard it can be as a college student with a tight budget, so I was really impressed.”

Contact Dianna Warwick at [email protected].

KentWired Video

var so = new SWFObject(‘http://www.staterinteractive.com/player.swf’,’mpl’,’665′,’450′,’9′);

so.addParam(‘allowscriptaccess’,’always’);

so.addParam(‘allowfullscreen’,’true’);

so.addParam(‘flashvars’,’&file=020912_Drag Show.flv&image=http://www.staterinteractive.com/photos/spring11/0131tv2.jpg&frontcolor=6666FF&lightcolor=EEEEEE&skin=http://www.staterinteractive.com/snel.swf&streamer=rtmp://flashmedia.kent.edu/fms-jmc/tv2′);

so.write(‘tv2news’);

Clarkin talks about the purpose of the drag show.

Video by TV2 Correspondent Kaitlynn LeBeau.