Wrestlers finish regular season with win over Clarion

Tim Dorst

The Kent State wrestling team won its last four matches Friday night on the way to a 30-14 victory over Clarion in its last dual meet of the season.

With two starters out of the lineup, the Flashes (14-6, 5-0 MAC) won seven of their 10 matches. The win marks their twelfth victory in the last 13 meets.

Senior Nic Bedelyon helped the Flashes get off to a quick start, earning a 21-4 technical fall over the Golden Eagles’ Trey Hicks. Bedelyon improved his record to 28-3 on the season.

Freshman Ian Miller returned from an injury and appeared to have not missed a beat. Miller scored a pin on Clarion’s Cameron Moran at 1:46 in the first round, earning six points for the Flashes.

With Kent State trailing 16-14 after six matches, the upperweights came up big for the Flashes. Senior Ross Tice moved up to the 174-pound weight class to replace sophomore Brandonn Johnson and defeated Nick Milano 10-7. Junior Casey Newburg earned his team-leading ninth major decision of the season in a 11-2 victory over Steven Cressley.

Junior Keith Witt won his bout 10-6 over Alex Thomas, and senior Brendan Barlow capped off the night with a pin on Brandon Contreras.

Kent State was leading 8-0 when Clarion junior Tyler Bedelyon scored a pin on sophomore Tyler Small. The younger brother of Nic Bedelyon earned an upset victory over Small, who is ranked No. 10 in the nation in the 141-pound weight class according to multiple polls.

Two of the Flashes’ three losses came against ranked opponents. No. 4 James Fleming of Clarion scored a 14-2 major decision against senior Marcel Clopton, who filled in for junior Mallie Shuster in the 157-weight class, and No. 5 Bekzod Abdurakhmonov followed with a pin on Kent State freshman Andy Candiello.

Contact Tim Dorst at [email protected].