USG announces 2012 candidates

Sade Hale

Undergraduate Student Government election campaigning began Friday at midnight. A total of 38 candidates are running, 17 of whom are running for the nine director positions.

Evan Gildenblatt and Isaac Hadzovic are running for the position of executive director.

Gildenblatt, junior applied conflict management major, currently serves as the director of governmental affairs and vice-chair of the allocations committee.

dc.embed.load(‘http://www.documentcloud.org/search/embed/’, {

q: “document: 292800”,

container: “#DC-search-document-292800”,

title: “USG Candidates 2012-13”,

order: “title”,

per_page: 1,

search_bar: true,

organization: 546

});

“Student input is really the focal point of my campaign. I’m looking to work proactively with not only USG but also with other student leaders,” Gildenblatt said.

Hadzovic, junior political science major, is currently a USG senator-at-large.

“I have been in USG long enough now to know that it needs some big changes,” Hadzovic said. “I feel like the lack of student representation is something I need to focus on.”

Other director position candidates are running for include director of community affairs, student advancement, government affairs, academic affairs, student involvement, programming, communication and business and finance.

According to the USG election rules and regulations for candidates and campaigning, candidates are allowed to distribute flyers, pamphlets, handouts and posters. Candidates are also allowed to create personal websites, but they are not allowed to campaign in any residence hall or in any computer lab.

The USG election will be held Tuesday, March 6. Polls will open at 8 a.m. and close at 6 p.m. Students must be registered for the spring semester to be eligible to vote via each student’s FlashLine account.

Contact Sade Hale at [email protected].