Kent State women’s track and field defeats Akron

Daniel Staimpel

At their first scored meet of the year, Kent State women’s track and field beat Akron 91-59 while the men’s track and field team fell 79-72.

Leading the way for the women was sophomore Shanequa Williams and junior Melinda Sawnor who both won two events. Graduate student Penina Acayo won the triple jump event with a distance of 40’-07.00” and placed second in the long jump.

The women’s team won seven events with a one-two finish.

Senior Princeton Bryson ran the 60-meter dash in 6.71, a top-15 time for the country. He also won the 200-meter dash, finishing with a time of 22.05.

Sophomore Joh’vonnie Mosley and freshman Jacklyn Leppelmeier placed first and second in the shot put, with distances of 50’-9.50” and 47’-05.25” respectively.

The high jump was the men’s best event. Senior Dean Wood won with a height of 7’-00.25”, junior Kenneth Agee placed second with 6’-10.75” and senior Ruben Belen got third by leaping 6’-06.75”.

Senior Rob Falchi bounded 47’-11.25” in the triple jump to take first place.

Sophomore Laron Brown III and sophomore Dill Corbett took first and second place in the 400-meter dash. Brown III won with a time of 48.92 and Corbett was right behind him with 49.13.

The women’s 4×400-meter relay team won with a time of 3:53.49. The relay team consisted of senior Danielle Doughery, sophomore Erica Hutson, freshman Lynnese Beyan and Williams.

Kent State returns to action in the Meyo Invitational hosted by Notre Dame Feb. 3-4.