Our View: Five classes you should take

DKS editors

While many Kent State students find themselves stuck in the rut of LSRs and intense major-related classes, we recommend a few extra courses you should squeeze into your schedule.

Literature for Young Adults — Matthew Shank

If highlighting and outlining hundreds of pages in heavy textbooks is ruining your love for reading, sign up. Throughout the semester, you’ll read a range of young adult books including “Thirteen Reasons Why,” “Monster” and “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.” Shank will make you rediscover books you grew up with and fall in love with them all over again.

Wine of Northeast Ohio — Anthony Carlucci

Yep, there’s actually a class offered that allows you to indulge in wine and cheese for credit. Carlucci, who has extensive knowledge of enology, winemaking and viticulture, has an incredibly upbeat personality that pairs quite well with a glass of Pinot noir. It’s hard to believe a class this awesome exists.

Colloquium in Women’s Studies — Suzanne Holt

This isn’t just a class for men to study women. It’s an interesting, discussion-style course about women’s issues, past and present. You can tell Holt loves to teach it, and with probing questions, she’ll make you consider the progress we’ve made with women’s rights, as well as the areas we still need to improve.

Reviewing Film/TV — Mark Dawidziak

Dawidziak isn’t your typical professor. He’s the extravagant, theatrical and inspiring television critic for The Plain Dealer. If you like watching a variety of shows and movies and want the inside scoop of the up-and-coming seasons of shows, take this class. You’ll make informed opinions and write about them.

Seven Idea That Shook The Universe — Jon Secaur

One of Secaur’s most impressive qualities: The ability to memorize everyone’s name in a lecture hall with more than 100 students. Other notable traits: He has a wonderful sense of humor, which often presents itself on tests and makes you giggle in a silent room. He makes physics understandable — even to the lost freshmen in his class. He’s a genius.

This editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.