Our View: You’re a good man, Provost Frank

DKS Editors

Provost Robert Frank was appointed Tuesday as the new president of the University of New Mexico. He will continue his job as provost this semester before heading back to his alma mater.

Finalists for the new provost at Kent are expected to be announced sometime this week.

Since he came to Kent State in 2007, Frank helped to establish the College of Public Health, which has continued to grow since its conception, increased student retention rates and revised the promotion and tenure rules for faculty hires.

His expertise in the health sciences apparently put him ahead in the presidential race at UNM.

It is no secret that student media has had a fluctuating relationship with university administration in the past, and from our perspective, Frank has been one of the most open and receptive administrators to speak with.

Now that he’s leaving, we can only hope his successor will continue in his footsteps.

Most importantly, we want a provost with big visions for change and the means to make those changes happen (and if those changes, for instance, include lower tuition rates, we’d be just fine with that).

And for us, it’s important to have a provost that is willing to speak with members of student media so we can better serve you, the Kent State students.

Until we find out who the potential provost candidates will be, we can only hope the selection committee picks someone who can fill Frank’s very large shoes and bring positive changes to the university.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.