Our View: Drink responsibly or not at all

DKS Editors

In case you didn’t catch the beer pouring down Tuesday’s front page, here’s the gist: Kent State students are making stupid decisions on and off campus when alcohol is involved.

There were a few instances of students who admitted their decisions were stupid, but one person admitted he didn’t regret buying alcohol for his underage friend – he just regretted getting caught. While his quote is humorous, there’s no doubt that decisions now will affect you later. That last shot you have with your friends at the bar could be the one that gets you arrested or heavily fined.

Carol Crimini, managing attorney at Kent State Student Legal Services, said the potential punishment for underage drinking or supplying those underage drinkers can result in fines up to $1,000, 180 days in jail or both. The fines for an OVI cost even more, and with consequences like that, can you really afford to make stupid decisions?

We want to stress responsibility and the importance of laws – no matter how much you disagree with them – to protect the safety of you and others.

We would much rather have a slow news day than report on alcohol-related injuries or deaths. Trust us.

And just in case your DARE programs and parents didn’t make this clear to you, we’re reiterating it: Don’t drink and drive.

The above editorial is the consensus of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.