Opinion: Educate yourselves about HIV/AIDS

Opinion: ‘X Factor’ is less than or equal to ‘American Idol’ (or one of those other singing shows)

Raytevia Evans

Raytevia Evans

Raytevia Evans is a second-year graduate student studying magazine journalism and managing editor of KentWired. Contact her at [email protected].

The Milton Hershey School in Harrisburg, Penn., is currently under fire after it rejected a 13-year-old boy because he’s HIV-positive. The school’s spokeswoman Connie McNamara openly cited in an interview that the honor student was denied because he is HIV-positive. McNamara claimed the school — which is obviously connected to the Hershey Chocolate Company — has an obligation to protect the health and safety of the 1,850 students who are currently enrolled. This incident happened a week after World AIDS Day, and it has succeeded in bringing up a controversial topic that society has ceased to care about or discuss.

Immediately, the AIDS Law Project of Pennsylvania jumped on this case, stating that the school’s rejection was in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The act states that Congress finds that “…physical or mental disabilities in no way diminish a person’s right to fully participate in all aspects of society…” It also states that its purpose is “…to provide a clear and comprehensive national mandate for the elimination of discrimination against individuals with disabilities…” Obviously, the boy’s family is pursuing a lawsuit against the school.

The boy’s attorney, Ronda Goldfein, works with the AIDS Law Project of Pennsylvania, and she said there are still stigmas and some fear about people who are HIV-positive, and it’s not fair. The 13-year-old has the HIV under control with the help of his medication, and he can do no harm to other children in a casual setting.

As most of us already know, HIV/AIDS is not like a cold, chicken pox or the flu. You can’t get this disease by simply breathing the same air as the person infected. The Centers for Disease Control says HIV cannot be transmitted by casual contact such as a handshake or a casual kiss. It cannot be transmitted by a toilet seat, a door knob or even a drinking fountain, so I’m quite confused on how this young man can be a threat to other students.

It’s very important to be well-read and educated about HIV/AIDS because it is an epidemic that is still present in our society, but it’s being swept under the rug. The Milton Hershey School is an institution that provides opportunities for disadvantaged children, which is great. And if anyone is at a disadvantage right now, it’s that kid. The Milton Hershey School has shown that it’s lacking in some areas, i.e., the knowledge department. I seriously think this school has reacted out of ignorance.

Time after time, people have been lectured and reassured that HIV/AIDS is not contagious; you simply can’t catch it if an HIV-positive person holds your hand or brushes up against you. So seriously, stop treating people like lepers and educate yourselves.