Field hockey earns double-OT 4-3 victory over Chippewas

Sophomore Alyssa McFerren carries the ball upfield during the 5-2 loss to California on Monday, Sept. 19. Photo by Matt Hafley.

Nick Shook

It took two overtimes to complete, but the Kent State field hockey team orchestrated an outstanding comeback and defeated Central Michigan, 4-3.

Senior Debbie Bell scored both the game-tying and game-winning goals to lead the Flashes to their second straight victory. Down 3-1 late in the game, sophomore Rebecca Lee started an offensive burst for Kent State when she scored on an assist from Sabrina Binder.

Four minutes later, Bell scored an unassisted goal to tie the game at 3-3. Freshman goalkeeper Jahna Jordan made a save on a Chippewas’ corner attempt with less than two minutes remaining to force the game to overtime.

“We had a timeout after Bec (Rebecca Lee) scored, and it was like come on guys lets do this,” senior Amy Wimsatt said. “It was a collective effort of ‘let’s beat these guys and get out of here.’”

After a scoreless first overtime period, Bell scored her second goal of the game to give the Flashes a 4-3 victory. 

“It was a real character moment for our team,” coach Kathleen Wiler said. “The time on the clock was dwindling and they just kept meshing and working hard.”

The Flashes faced an early deficit after the Chippewas scored two goals within the first 15 minutes of play. Freshman Cayleigh Immelman and sophomore Bailey McKeon each scored a goal for Central Michigan, but Kent State could not be deterred, as senior Carla Johl scored her second goal in as many games 10 minutes later to cut the Flashes’ deficit to one.

“We were down and came out the second half, and even though they were behind they kept playing and kept working,” Wiler said.

Another goal by Central Michigan extended the Chippewas’ lead to 3-1 and set up Kent State for an exciting comeback attempt that it completed in the second overtime period.

Kent State improved to 5-8 overall and 3-1 in the Mid-American Conference. The Flashes will face Ohio on the road on Friday at 3 p.m.

Contact Nick Shook at [email protected] and @Shookie_Cookie.