New KSU Choice Card offers more for student refunds

This burger made from the garden begins with a pretzel roll, beef patty and goat cheese. It features crisp spinach, tomato, caramelized onion, tomato vinaigrette, basil pesto and vinegar relish.

Caitlyn Callahan

When making their preference, Olafsdottir said students should think about which preference is best for them.

“What we would recommend students do if they are thinking about signing up for the One account is make sure they understand the terms and conditions,” Olafsdottir said, “and make sure that account is right for them and suits their needs.”

Olafsdottir said there are many benefits to the new accounts. One is the tracking system offered to students by the Higher One account.

“It works almost like tracking a package through UPS,” she said. Now, students can see what address was used for the refund, when it was printed, when the bank received the electronic refund and when they are going to receive the refund.

Olafsdottir said other benefits include mobile alerts and email notifications, ability to order checks, customer service representatives and other “cool” features on the website: ksuchoicecard.higheroneaccount.com.

Bursar Les Carter said so far, students are showing positive reactions to the new accounts and card.

“From the people who receive refunds, 50 percent have already signed up (for Higher One),” he said, “which is good.” However, some students said they have mixed reactions.

Jess Parson, sophomore pre-marketing major, said she didn’t understand the card.

“I really just don’t know what it is,” she said. “I got an email, but I still don’t know.”

Melissa Hendricks, freshman interior design major, said the Choice Card is “all right,” but she likes having cash better.

“I just like the fact of having my cash when I get (the refund),” she said. “I like being able to physically see the cash … instead of getting a card.”

If a student signs up for Higher One but doesn’t receive a refund, the account will sit dormant.

#KWChoiceCard

new TWTR.Widget({

version: 2,

type: ‘search’,

search: ‘#KWChoiceCard’,

interval: 6000,

subject: ”,

width: 240,

height: 300,

theme: {

shell: {

background: ‘#b8b8b8’,

color: ‘#66a9c5’

},

tweets: {

background: ‘#b8b8b8’,

color: ‘#444444’,

links: ‘#1985b5’

}

},

features: {

scrollbar: true,

loop: true,

live: true,

hashtags: true,

timestamp: true,

avatars: true,

toptweets: true,

behavior: ‘default’

}

}).render().start();

Olafsdottir said there are two campaigns to get students aware of the Higher One accounts and Choice Cards.

The first, “Check yourself,” reminds students to check their local address on Flashline.

By verifying the address, students are automatically entered for a chance to win a $50 iTunes gift card.

“We want to make sure everyone is on the same page,” Olafsdottir said.

The second, “Unlock the possibilities,” will remind students to make their refund preference and promote the Higher One accounts.

“We are really pushing the advertisement of the Choice Card,” Olafsdottir said. “In short, the reason we went with Higher One is we are able to provide (students) with information about their refund once it’s been issued that we weren’t able to before.”

Contact Caitlyn Callahan at [email protected].