‘Merwin Day’ allows students to connect with poet

The Wick Poetry Center hosted a poetry reading by W.S. Merwin in the KSC Ballroom on Monday, Oct. 10. Merwin signed books and talked to the audience after his performance. Photo by Jenna Watson.

John Milligan

The library’s first floor quiet study room was filled with laughter and applause as special guest W.S. Merwin answered questions from a collection of students and poetry enthusiasts Monday afternoon.

The 2010 U.S. Poet Laureate Consultant to Congress spent the day discussing topics ranging from how he started writing poetry to what he believes poetry means to humanity.

“Ever since I could write with a pencil and make words, I’ve wanted to write poetry,” Merwin said. “I believe that our imagination is the real distinction of humanity. It’s the thing that makes us feel compassion. It’s the thing of which all the arts are made.”

Monday’s events started with Merwin participating in an informal ‘Q-and-A’ accompanied by a collection of his works from the 1950s to today, titled “A Doorway to the Work of W.S. Merwin.”

The acclaimed poet discussed his long and productive career, working as a playwright, translator and poet for nearly 60 years. In the last six decades, Merwin has written 26 books of poetry, 22 translations and eight books of prose.

His first work, “A Mask for Janus,” was published in 1952 to critical acclaim. Since then he has collected several awards including two Pulitzer Prizes and the Governor’s Award for Literature of the State of Hawaii.

Merwin said he couldn’t explain his relationship to poetry, and that maybe that was the point.

“I can’t explain it to you, I can’t even explain it to myself,” he said. “It just happens. A poem is a living thing. In any language, poetry is there to say what can’t be said.”

Merwin continued his university visit (or as many referred to it, “Merwin Day”) in the Student Center’s ballroom where he kept the mood mostly light and humorous, reading a collection of his poems and interpretations to a full house of students, faculty and community members.

He also thanked the university for its hospitality and said he appreciated the atmosphere.

“The thing I see when I come to Kent State is an openness (to poetry and thinking),” he said. “It is a joy to come back to the U.S. and see this happening.”

Nicole Robinson, program and outreach coordinator for the Wick Poetry Center, said Merwin’s presence was an incredible opportunity for the university.

“We’re really humbled and thrilled to have W.S. Merwin here,” Robinson said. “People are coming from Detroit and flying in from various places because they’re not going have the opportunity to see him other places.”

Even through his decades-long career includes many accomplishments, Merwin said his poetry writing has never been about anything more than his desire to create. He said he chooses to read and write poetry because it brings him pleasure and he recommends others do it for the same reason.

“The Puritans wanted to stamp out poetry because there was pleasure in it,” he said. “If you like reading Hallmark greeting cards, read Hallmark greeting cards.”

Contact John Milligan at [email protected].