Making a good impression at the Job and Internship Fair

Mara Zurick

At the Fall Job and Internship Fair, good first impressions and professional attire are key to landing an interview.

The Fall Job and Internship Fair is Wednesday in the Student Center Ballroom from noon to 4 p.m. It is open to both students and alumni. There are 110 organizations registered for the fair, some of which are looking for employees or interns.

Robin Pijor, assistant director of the Career Services Center, said the three most important things students should do to prepare for the fair are to plan out what they are going to wear, update and edit their resume and practice interviews. She said students should also research the companies they are interested in before the fair.

“Students need to go over the list of organizations attending the fair before hand, and prioritize them,” Pijor said. “When you walk up to a company’s table, introduce yourself. Give a sales pitch about yourself and your skills and mention something about the company.”

Kristin Kazimour-Mitnick, Edgepark Medical Supplies recruiting manager, said her company plans to hire two to five people at the fair. She said students should research the companies they are interested in before attending the fair and be ready to ask and answer questions.

“Review mission statements and positions the company is looking to fill,” she said. “Be prepared to tell the company representative why you would be a great fit within their organization and what you have done to plan for their career.”

What TO DO:

Wear a suit

Have a nice pen to write with

Bring a professional portfolio

Speak loud and clear

Shake hands with the right hand

Wear black dress socks and dress shoes

What NOT TO DO:

Wear low-cut shirts

Strong perfume/cologne

Chewing gum

Bold makeup or nail polish

Facial piercings and visible tattoos

Wear wrinkled clothing

Wear tennis shoes

Kazimour-Mitnick said she is looking for individuals with customer service, follow up and problem-solving skills.

“Most importantly though, are an eagerness to learn, enthusiasm and a positive attitude. These behaviors are vital for anyone in search of a career,” Kazimour-Mitnick said.

Pijor said students should wear navy or black suits. She said the student’s attire should be conservative and professional because first impressions are important.

“Employers get thousands of applications and resumes,” she said. “They have to determine quickly who they think will be right for the job based on maybe five minutes of conversation, a resume and appearance. Your resume needs to be critiqued before so it’s flawless and includes updated and important information.”

She said the initial greeting is very important because it is all the employers have to remember students by.

“You need to market yourself,” Pijor said. “A strong handshake and communication skills are very important. There will be many organizations at the fair and hundreds of students and alumni looking for jobs and internships. You want to standout — but in a good way.”

Some of the employers attending include Aeropostale Inc., 21st Century Financial Inc., American Greetings, Dollar Bank and Ernst & Young LLP. The full list can be found at kentstate.experience.com.

Kazimour-Mitnick said this is an important event if students want a job whether they’re looking for one right now or later.

“Keep in mind that at most career fairs, you are speaking with a decision maker or someone that can directly influence an outcome,” Kazimour-Mitnick said. “So take this networking event seriously and come prepared to make a lasting impression.”

Contact Mara Zurick at [email protected].