Board of Trustees approves 10% decrease in new budget

Despite projecting a 20% decrease in May, the Board of Trustees approved a new budget during its meeting Wednesday, giving the university a little more spending room.

The Board approved the budget for $595 million – a $65 million or 10% decrease from last year. The budget was decreased due to declining enrollment, reduced on-campus revenue and reduced state aid because of the coronavirus.

In May, the Board had approved cutting $36 million in salaries and benefits; that is included in the total cut approved this week. Using the “Planning for the Worst and Working for the Best” philosophy, the university did not decrease the full 20% cut proposed at the May board meeting – only half of it.

Tuition revenue declined because of enrollment dropping 6.5%, but President Todd Diacon said this was expected due to the pandemic. Every public university in Ohio except for Ohio State and Cincinnati went down in enrollment, he said.

On-campus revenue decreased by $28 million due to fewer students being on campus.

Kent State got $13.7 million less in state aid through the State Share of Instruction program, a 4.5% decrease from last year, but depending on the state economy the cut could increase to 10%.

New funding commitments include an additional $1.6 million allocated to mental health services on campus for students and another $1.2 million given to support off-campus and distance learning. There is also a freeze on university-sponsored travel for this year.

Ben Vrobel covers administration. Contact him at [email protected].

SUPPORT STUDENT MEDIA 

Hi, I’m Lauren Sasala, a senior journalism student from Toledo. I’m also the editor in chief of The Kent Stater and KentWired this semester. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important news about Kent State and the Kent community. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate.