Our View: Kudos to USG

DKS Editorial Staff

Undergraduate Student Government leaders have some ambitious goals for the year. Their biggest problem on campus: apathy. It’s their main goal to get students involved this year, and they’ve got plenty of things in the works that they hope will do just that. One way they hope to do this is by being more accessible to students.

In the past, USG has had drop boxes around campus where students could leave suggestions or concerns, but members admitted the responses were sparse. One way they plan to get more students voicing their opinions is through a new program called “What’s up KSU?” The idea is to get students to take advantages of the services offered by USG. More attractive boxes and forms to get students’ attention is one plan to get more feedback.

Another new service is a program that allows individuals to apply for money toward a conference related to his or her major. Students can get a form on the USG website or pick one up at the USG office in the student center.

It’s the job of USG to represent the students and voice our needs to the university administration. This year’s leaders seem eager to do that. But to be best represented, we need to get involved and take advantage of what they have to offer.

USG is off to a great start. We hope the members keep the momentum going.

The above editorial is the consensus of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.