Ronald McDonald House sponsors KSU poptab contest

Fiza Shah

The Ronald McDonald House KSU Challenge is calling for creative-minded students to create clothing or accessories using pop tabs provided by the Ronald McDonald House.

Winning pieces will be displayed in front of 500 to 600 people at the annual fundraiser titled “Familia,” on Oct. 15, hosted by Ronald McDonald House. Elizabeth Carr, professor for the School of Fashion Design and Merchandising, has been facilitating this effort with Ronald McDonald House. Assisting Carr are Will Riddle and Sylvia Bukowski, junior fashion design majors, and Jillian Miranda, a senior fashion design major.

In addition to the pop tab art, a coat created by 10 students and faculty, including Carr, last spring as a part of the Cotton Incorporated Coat Grant will also be displayed.

The competition will be judged by children whose families are assisted by the Ronald McDonald House.

John Crawford, dean of the College of Arts, said, “I’m very supportive of this endeavor to support Ronald McDonald House,” as well as supporting students’ artistic abilities. “It’s very important to show how the arts can be helpful in transforming people’s lives,” he said.

Bridget Elchert, a senior visual communication design and fine arts major, said that if she had the time, she would definitely participate in such activities.

“I think for anyone who does participate though, it’s a good way to support the Ronald McDonald House and a great way to build up your portfolio.”

All submissions are due by Oct. 10. To sign up or for further information, email Will Riddle at [email protected].

Contact Fiza Shah at [email protected].