Update: KSU students’ fake ID trial postponed

Kent State students Antonino Bucca, left, and Drew Patenaude were charged with identity fraud, forgery and telecommunications fraud.

Update

Drew H. Patenaude, 21, and Antonio G. Bucca’s, 21, trial has been postponed.

The preliminary trial that was scheduled for 9 a.m. Tuesday is now scheduled for Oct. 6 at 10:30 a.m., and the jury trial has been moved to Oct. 12 at 9 a.m.

The trial will be at the Portage County Common Pleas Court.

Patenaude and Bucca were charged in March with identity fraud, forgery and telecommunications fraud. United States Customs and Border Protection agents intercepted 45 pairs of fake IDs hidden inside an electronic device shipped to the defendants from China.

The Kent Police said in April that they believed Bucca and Patenaude intended to distribute the IDs to students at the university. If convicted on all three charges, the two could each serve up to three years in prison.

Contact Nathan Edwards at [email protected].

Original

The trial of two Kent State students arrested in connection with a fake ID scheme begins Tuesday at 9 a.m. in the Portage County Common Pleas Court in Ravenna.

Drew H. Patenaude, 21, and Antonino G. Bucca, 21, were both charged in March with identity fraud, forgery and telecommunications fraud. United States Customs and Border Protection agents intercepted 45 pairs of fake IDs hidden inside an electronic device shipped to the defendants from China.

The Kent Police said in April that they believed Bucca and Patenaude intended to distribute the IDs to students at the university.

If convicted on all three charges, the two could each serve up to three years in prison.

Contact Anna Staver at [email protected].