Students put up a fight to move in on time

Senior Physical Education majors, Lauren Jasica and Rachael Lyons move boxes in their new apartment. Jasica and Lyons were told the original move in date of last Tuesday but had to wait for their apartment to get finished until Thursday. Photo by Philip Botta.

Cassandra Beck

When July turns to August in Kent, U-Hauls fill the streets and mattresses balance on top of cars – familiar sights in a college town. Students pack up their belongings and move to new residences for a new year. Friends and families help students move in, transporting beer pong tables, couches and coffee makers.

For most students the stress of moving only lasts for a day or two, but for others, the move isn’t as easy as they would have planned.

WHY SHOULD STUDENTS CARE?

• Many students choose to live in apartments after staying in the dorms.
  • Students who live out of state may have trouble finding temporary housing.

Several Kent State students were faced with dilemmas when old leases ended before new ones began, leaving them temporarily homeless between moves.

Rachael Lyons, senior physical education major, lived in Campus Pointe Apartments for two years before deciding to move to the Whitehall East Town Homes complex with three other roommates for the 2011-2012 school year.

“We had to move out of Campus Pointe on July 31 even though it was supposed to be a yearlong lease,” Lyons said. “Our new landlord said our new apartment wouldn’t be ready for move-in until Aug. 25. Where were we supposed to live for 25 days?”

Lyons said she and her other roommates made countless calls to management at their new apartment complex asking for an earlier move-in date. Lyons worked in Kent over the summer and had to drive from home, a little over an hour away.

“I had to come back two times a week to work,” said Lyons, an employee at Ray’s Place. “I went through a lot of gas, and then I had to find places to stay after work since I would get off around 3 a.m.”

Some of the roommates rented a storage unit to store their belongings instead of finding trucks and renting U-Hauls to bring all of their things home and then back to Kent again in late August.

Greg Horning, manager of Kent Storage on East Main Street, said that he’s seen a huge increase in self-storage units during July and August.

“We didn’t have enough units to accommodate all the people looking to store things with us,” Horning said. “We started dividing up bigger units to help more people store things.”

However, Horning said he always sees a jump in sales around this time of year.

When Lyons and the rest of her roommates attempted to move in to their new apartment Tuesday, they found the residence a complete mess, with filthy carpets and a beer stench. Some of her roommates even took pictures as a testament to the level of disarray in case they needed to file a lawsuit.

“It was ridiculous, we were told we could move in on that date, and nothing was ready,” said another roommate, Lauren Jasica, junior physical education major. “It was unlivable.”

The roommates demanded the landlord install new flooring in the living room and on the stairs – a demand they were granted. But this meant they would be moving in with gutted floors.

“We finally got to move in on Aug. 24,” Jasica said. “A whole day before we were supposed to. They didn’t work with us at all.”

At the end of all the drama, the roommates were temporarily “homeless” in Kent for a total of 24 days.

“It’s hard to go back and forth between here and your hometown when your life is basically here in Kent,” Lyons said. “What if this would have happened to someone who lived in another state, not just an hour away?”

For some students living in Kent though, home is another state. During the past month, students have crashed on couches, slept on the floor and made the trip back and forth between their hometowns and Kent.

Ryan Place Apartments, a Kent apartment complex, said it does everything it can to accommodate residents on a timely basis, but ultimately it comes down to whether the apartment is ready and livable for the new tenants.

“All of our apartments are cleaned thoroughly,” said an employee at Ryan Place Apartments. “We shampoo the carpets, scrub the walls, fix any holes, and every single apartment gets repainted.”

Ryan Place Apartments said it tries to accommodate those residents who request to move in by a certain time, but it generally depends on what condition the previous tenants left the apartment.

Luckily for most students though, the college moving month is coming to a close, and apartments and houses are finally ready for new tenants to move in.

“I’m just happy we are finally all moved in,” Lyons said. “It has taken long enough.”

Contact Daily Kent Stater reporter Cassandra Beck at [email protected].