So you’re not really a freshman…

John Milligan

You’ve lived the college life before. You’ve taken the classes, made new friends and become familiar with campus. But now you’ve transferred to Kent State and have a whole new list of concerns. You’re not alone.

Kent State has had an increase of transfer students over the past year. Mark Ledoux, associate director of admissions, said the university has received 3,200 transfer applications for the fall semester — an 11-percent increase from last year.

“It has been an even mix from two-year and four-year universities,” Ledoux said. “People have a variety of different situations.”

The university provides orientation programs and practical advice designed to help ease the transition.

Barbara Miller, academic advisor and coordinator for the Transfer Center, said there are many valuable programs directed toward transfer students.

“There are lots of organizations you can get involved with,” Miller said. Branch out and meet with other students.”

Curt Vigneulle, a finance graduate student who transferred to Kent State from Ohio State University his freshman year, cautioned students to avoid being reclusive.

“Join a rec team or something. Be active; take advantage. Enjoy the college experience.”

Nicole Kiss-Benke, a fashion merchandising major who transferred from Cuyahoga Community College, said new students should take the time to explore campus.

Once familiar with campus life, Amy Wilkens, academic adviser in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, recommended transfer students meet with an academic adviser to discuss their scholastic future.

“Be prompt and get that information to your adviser. The number one issue is what (classes) to take,” she said.

Contact Summer Kent Stater reporter John Milligan at [email protected].