New South Lincoln apartment complex nears approval

An overview of the proposed overlay district (shown as cross-hatched area) which amends the zoning of the 10-acre property from an R-3 to a higher density R-4 residential zone. Photo credit: City of Kent

Drew Parker

In spite of opposition from local residents, Kent City Council is closer to approving a 246-unit apartment complex to be located on South Lincoln Street.

On May 18, city council unanimously approved an overlay district that would provide for the 596-bedroom complex.

Edwards Communities, the construction company behind the project, plans to begin building in July after buying and demolishing six properties located on the site. The complex will be open for occupancy by the beginning of the Fall 2012 school year and is estimated to cost approximately $20 million.

Local residents urged council members at the meeting not to approve the overlay district, which will rezone 10 acres of land between South Lincoln Street and Morris Road to provide for the larger concentration of residents in the area.

Gary Locke, Director of Community Development for the City of Kent, explained the increase in population could have an impact on traffic in the community and surrounding areas.

“There will be noise and light pollution due to the significant increase in population, too much vehicle and foot traffic, and an increase in crime,” said Karen Andrews, a resident of High Street. “I have no problem with students living in my neighborhood, but the sheer number of people will be too high.”

Heidi Shaffer, the Ward 5 city council representative, said the needs of the city outweighed the concerns of the immediate neighborhood.

“Though students do not tend to vote, they are still constituents of the community,” Shaffer said. “We want to make them feel welcome in the city and urge them to remain here after they graduate. People tend to leap to the worst-case scenario in these situations. I plan to address any problems with students and other residents as they come and keep an eye for the future of the community.”

Ryan Syzmanski, a representative for Edwards Communities, said he believes the complex will provide convenient housing for students and improve the Kent community as a whole.

“The general architecture of the project will beautify the area,” Syzmanski said. “The complex will provide modern, quality student housing in close proximity to both downtown and all university classes. Quality housing in the right location will hopefully attract future students to the university.” Syzmanski also mentioned the project would increase tax revenues to the city and potentially add students to the university’s enrollment.

A final plan of the complex will be presented to city council at a June 21 meeting, where they will vote on final approval.

“I am very saddened that we were unsuccessful in getting city council to listen to us (residents),” said Andrews.

Contact Summer Kent Stater reporter Drew Parker at [email protected].