University plans summer construction across campus

Morgan Wright

Many students and faculty still in Kent for the summer semesters will notice an increase of orange barrels and roped-off sections on campus in the next ten weeks.

Every year, the university evaluates campus buildings and works to improve them based on the level of importance and priority. Most of the improvements are accomplished during the summer months because the majority of students are no longer on campus.

More scheduled projects on campus include:

• To promote a greener campus, academic buildings will replace windows and doors with more energy-efficient materials.

• The public areas of Bowman and Satterfield halls will see improvements.

• The Library Math Emporium is still in progress on the second floor of the building. The new section will include 250 student workstations.

• The Music and Speech parking lot will be repaved. New lighting installations will help improve pedestrian circulation.

• The M.A.C. Center’s sound system will be upgraded, and damaged parts of the roof will be replaced.

• Soccer fields and basketball courts on Loop Road will be improved and a better sub-drainage system will be installed.

“As complaints are made or things are noticed, we continue to make upgrades,” said Mary Ruffing, the assistant director of capital design and construction for the University Architect’s office. “I think we’re doing a number of things that will improve the image.”

While renovations are occurring at all eight campuses, the Kent campus will be seeing the most changes.

Major construction is planned for residence halls, academic buildings, parking lots and the M.A.C. Center.

As part of the Kent State Energy Conservation Project, Prentice, Verder, Dunbar, Lake and Olson halls will be replacing windows. Beall and McDowell halls will update air-handling equipment. Additionally, Lake and Olson are currently installing new elevators.

Tri-Towers will also be replacing windows to save money and keep the building better prepared for the changing seasons. Maintenance issues with the heating, ventilating and air conditioning system will be addressed. Koonce Hall plans to modify fifteen doors on the second and third floors to meet ADA standards.

Projects are already underway or in the process of being bid upon by contractors. Most, if not all, planned projects will be completed before incoming and returning students move in and begin classes.

Contact Morgan Wright at [email protected].