Walking on hard ground

Freshman broadcast journalism major Allie Johnson goes barefoot to show her support for Toms, an organization whose goal is to get footwear to those who have none. For every pair of shoes that one buys from Toms, they will donate a pair to someone in need. Despite the cold, Johnson, and others went without shoes today to spread awareness for the cause. Photo by Sam Verbulecz.

Megan Wilkinson

Students participating in TOMS One Day Without Shoes at Kent State got a feel for what it is like to be one of the millions of children across the world who walk miles for basic necessities without shoes.

“My feet were a little raw from walking barefoot, but it was kind of liberating to not wear shoes,” said Heather Weber, former president of the Kent State TOMS club. “The weather wasn’t the best, but it’s not like a child who doesn’t have shoes can just put on a pair because the weather is unfavorable outside.”

Weber said participants went through their normal routines Tuesday, except without any shoes.

Blake Mycoskie, founder of TOMS Shoe Company, started the international movement to let participants learn what it is like to not have shoes. Weber said its goal is to have people walk around for one day without shoes.

According to the Kent State TOMS Facebook event page, at least 91 people said they would participate in the movement.

“The movement raises awareness about the importance of shoes,” said Kristin Mulcahy, Kent State’s Invisible Children president and sophomore international relations major. “So many children around the world do not have this basic necessity that we take for granted every day.”

Weber said TOMS Shoe Company gives away a pair of shoes to a child in a developing nation for every pair they sell through its website. She said the company also helps give shoes to children in some U.S. inner city programs.

The event was open to all individuals who heard about TOMS One Day Without Shoes. Several organizations on campus promoted the movement. Mulcahy said she encouraged members of Invisible Children to take part in Tuesday’s movement.

Lynsey Simonette, freshman visual communications design major, participated in the event after hearing about TOMS One Day Without Shoes online.

“I’ve gotten a lot of funny looks today,” Simonette said, “but that’s cool since I probably left an impact on other people. You don’t realize how much you appreciate shoes until you don’t have them. People spend so much money on shoes when other people in developing nations would appreciate just owning a pair of shoes.”

Contact Megan Wilkinson at [email protected]