African Community Theatre performs play exploring stereotypes, class

Aungelique Scott, junior theatre major, and Rakim Coleman, sophomore video production major, play Tommy and Bill in the production of “Wine in the Wilderness” at the African Community Theatre in Oscar Ritchie Hall. Photo by Jackie Friedman

Ryan Collins

“Wine in the Wilderness”

April 22 and 23 at 8 p.m. and 24 at 3 p.m.

Oscar Ritchie Hall Room 230

$7 for students and senior citizens

$10 for the general public

“Wine in the Wilderness” opened this weekend and will also show next weekend in the African Community Theatre in Oscar Ritchie Hall.

The play was written by Alice Childress and directed by Francis Dorsey, who is also director of the African Community Theatre.

“Wine in the Wilderness” takes place during a riot in Harlem and explores issues of stereotypes and class in African-American culture in the 1960s.

“The ‘60s was a very important era in history in terms of the changes that came about during that time,” said Tyrone Sanders, who plays Old Timer in the play. “I grew up in the ‘60s and ‘70s, so I know.”

Rakim Coleman, who plays Bill, said the play “has a very strong impact as far as what everybody is going through today. No matter race, color or creed.”

The production has extensive use of the N-word.

“My character, actually, she says that word often because that’s what she’s used to,” said Aungelique Scott, a junior theater major who played Tommy. “That’s all she knows.”

Scott noted, however, her character is reminded by the others that “the N-word is not acceptable.”

Brittany Brown, a senior biology major who played Cynthia, also noted the context of the word. She said the actors weren’t just throwing around the N-word.

Mary Ann Carandang, junior fashion design major, said her roommate invited her to the show, and she was excited to see it.

“I’ve actually never been to a play at Kent, so I thought ‘you know, why not,’” she said.

Della Marie Marshall, associate director of the Center for Student Involvement, said she’s missed only one African Community Theatre production in 20 years.

She added that she thinks more people should attend the plays.

“It gives students a perspective they don’t probably think about on a day-to-day basis,” she said.

View “Wine in the Wilderness” in a larger map

Contact Ryan Collins at [email protected].