New rec fields to be finished by Fall 2011

The new Recreation fields behind Stewart Hall are still under construction. They should be completed by the fall 2011 semester and will have soccer fields and tennisball courts. Photo by Matt Hafley.

Erin Vanjo

Despite setbacks, the plans for the $1.2 million recreation fields are still set to be finished for Fall 2011.

Demolition to the area, located on Summit Street across from the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, began in November 2010. Minimal construction to the area has been done since then due to wet weather conditions that have slowed progress, said Gretchen Julian, director of Recreational Services.

“Some parts have been completed, such as the removal of the tennis courts, but the project is in its infancy and is progressing as expected,” Julian said.

These fields, which will include two lighted recreational fields, a basketball court and two tennis courts, will also be open for public use; however, the Department of Recreational Services will utilize the fields in its programs and sports, Julian said.

“Recreational Services is getting a group of stakeholders together this summer to establish usage priorities and regulations for the fields,” she said.

Members of this group include different representatives from the Center for Student Involvement, Undergraduate Student Government, Education, Health and Human Services faculty, students, athletics, Kent State Police Department and Recreational Services staff.

“I think it’s great that so many different organizations are involved in the creation of these fields and that student groups are going to be involved in setting the rules,” said Alex Coco, sophomore pre-marketing major.

These fields will offer additional lawn space and programming for everyone on campus to enjoy, including students, faculty and staff members, Julian said.

Two outside contractors are working on the project. Thomas A. Hall Excavating and Contractors will be doing the fieldwork, and B&J Electric is handling the lighting, Julian said. The Office of the University Architect hired both companies.

The money to fund the project is coming predominately from the President’s Fund, Residence Services and Recreational Services, among various other sources, Julian said.

“Recreational Services is very excited about the new opportunities for programs and student usage that these fields will bring to the university,” Julian said. “President Lefton, Vice President Jarvie, the Office of the University Architect and Residence Services, are making our dream a reality.”

Contact Erin Vanjo at [email protected].