Our View: No one wants to talk about suicide, but we need to

DKS Editors

Occasionally, we may not realize the effect that our words can have on others. What we may consider an innocent joke, someone else may consider an offensive comment. Hurtful words can potentially lead some people to believe that ending their lives is the only escape. Wouldn’t you contemplate suicide if day in and day out, someone told you he or she hated you; you’re worthless; you’re nothing? Making fun of somebody who is homosexual or heterosexual, overweight or underweight, introverted or extroverted, can cut into that person, even if he or she appears to shrug it off as nothing. Other people’s opinions, whether we like to admit it or not, influence our decisions every day.

Everyone has a breaking point, and when offensive comments are pushed on others, inevitably, somebody pays a toll.

If you know of someone who expresses signs of distress, and if you’re a good friend, suggest he or she seek professional advice. Our campus offers psychological services for students who feel alone, sad, angry, confused or hurt in any way.

People shouldn’t think they’re alone in this world. There’s someone who understands them; it’s just a matter of offering help and reassuring them that their existence is valued.

If you or somebody you know is struggling with personal issues and have showed signs of suicidal tendencies, the clinic, located in Kent Hall, is open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with evening appointments available. Anyone in want of services should call the clinic at 330-672-2372, or stop by to fill out initial paperwork. University Health Services also offers psychological help to students. To schedule an appointment, students should call the clinic at 330-672-2487.

Give or seek help. Suicide is preventable.