Greeks spend a week in competition

Cristina Mazzone

From “Greek Idol” to “Greek Olympics,” the fraternities and sororities around campus are gathering for a week-long series of events.

The Panhellenic Council and the Inter-fraternity Council host Greek Week every spring. Events begin April 10 and will conclude April 17.

Fraternities and sororities are randomly grouped with one another to create teams, and points are handed out for each event that takes place during the week, said Megan Spellman, vice president of public and alumni relations for the Panhellenic Council. The points will be tallied at the end of the week, and the top three teams with the most points receive a prize.

“This week really puts our name out there, and the community can see us doing good things,” said Josh Cherok, vice president of public and alumni relations for the Inter-fraternity Council. “A lot of people have stereotypes about Greek life, but we really do a lot for the community.”

Spellman said she thinks Greek week is a great way for the Greek community to prove it’s a charitable society.

“I think that it gives Greeks more of a positive image,” said Spellman. “It shows non-Greeks that we really are doing good things in the community and working all together throughout the week.”

Monday:

• Greek Idol – 7 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom

Tuesday:

• Blood Drive – 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. in Student Center Room 204
  • 100 Commitments – 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. at Risman Plaza

Wednesday:

• Walk a Mile in Her Shoes – 5 p.m. at Risman Plaza

Thursday:

• Stroll Off Competition – 1 to 3 p.m. at M.A.C. Center Plaza

Friday:

• Greek Olympics – 3 to 5 p.m. at Manchester Field

Saturday:

• Relay for Life – 10 a.m. at Liquid Crystal Small Group Track

Sunday:

• Relay for Life
  • Closing Ceremonies – 2 to 4 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom

Contact Cristina Mazzone at [email protected].