Student Alliance to host events for Public Health week

Michaela Write

April 4-10 is National Public Health Week, and Kent State’s Public Health Student Alliance is sponsoring events to educate the community on the importance of public health.

The week kicks off with the Public Health Fair on Monday and events continue to Thursday.

Frank Henry-Ala, member of the Public Health Student Alliance and health policy and management major in Kent State’s master’s program, said a lot of people have helped to organize this week’s calendar of events.

“Mainly the Public Health Fair is to bring the understanding that public health is a collaborative effort,” Henry-Ala said. “A lot of different businesses and organizations are involved in doing it and put effort into donating money.”

The American Public Health Association held the first National Public Health Week in 1995. It falls on the first week of April each year, according to the association’s website.

Monday, April 4

Public Health Fair 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. 2nd floor Student Center

“Reforming Health Reform” 4p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Kiva

Heart to Heart Talk with Candice Monroe 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Kiva

Tuesday, April 5

National Alcohol Screening 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. 2nd floor KSC

Movie Night featuring “And the Band Played On” 7 p.m. Lowry Auditorium (Free Food)

Wednesday, April 6.

Alabama Field Experience 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. Room 309 Kent Student Center

Careers in Public Health (Open to High School Students) 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Kent Student Center Room 317

Send Silence Packing 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Student Recreation and Wellness Center

Thursday, April 7

Community Partner Open House 5:30 to 7 p.m. Moulton Hall Ballroom

Non-Traditional Emerging Issues in Environmental Health noon to 1 p.m. Moulton Hall Ballroom

Bi Safety Training Laboratory Tour 2:15 p.m. Cunningham Hall Room 316

Go to http://www.nphw.org/nphw11/first1.htm for more information on National Public Health Week.

Contact Michaela Write at [email protected]