Mothers, Mentors and Muses scholarship fundraiser to be held Tuesday

Christine Morgan

The Women’s Center invites students and staff to honor Kent State women who act as a mother, mentor or a muse.

Mothers, Mentors and Muses is an annual scholarship fundraising event sponsored by The Women’s Center. The event will begin at 5 p.m. Tuesday in the Student Center Ballroom. The cost to attend is $5 for students and $25 for the public.

Amanda Roder, program coordinator for The Women’s Center, said more than 30 women were nominated by members of the university community. A majority of the nominees are faculty and staff members.

At the event, women will be honored as a “mother” — one who helped birth ideas or served as a nurturing individual to others, a “mentor” — one who served as a role model or trusted counselor or a “muse” — one who inspired creativity or academic passion in others.

The night will begin with guest speakers and 2010 honorees Judy Devine and Eboni Pringle.

The Do Re Mi female jazz combo will perform. Hors d’oeuvres will be served and a cash bar will be available. The proceeds will go toward two $500 Women’s Center scholarships for students interested in women’s issues.

Roder said this is a chance for people to show their appreciation for Kent State women.

“It’s a really great opportunity for everyone in the university community to take a night to appreciate the staff who works in their office (and) the faculty in their classroom,” Roder said.

Contact Christine Morgan at [email protected].