Our View: State of the State Address: What about higher ed?

DKS Editors

Gov. John Kasich will deliver his State of the State address at noon today. If you’re a student, it might be in your best interest to listen in. Kasich may announce budget cuts that have the potential to deliver a serious blow to higher education.

As students, usually, we’re nothing short of broke. With an $8 billion budget hole to fill, the state government is itching to slash spending in almost any way it can. Federal government has already taken a shot at higher education by attempting to cut funding to Pell grants.

One thing is for sure: Higher education did not cause Ohio’s budget problems. If Kasich wants to ease Ohio’s financial burdens, raising costs for students is not the right way to do it.

As students, we are hoping for good news from Kasich’s address tomorrow. A tuition cap, a policy that bars state universities from raising tuition beyond a set rate, would be beneficial for all students. Without a tuition cap, the state state universities are free to raise tuition at their will without limits.

If the government wants to keep its graduates in the state, cutting funding to higher education will dash that wish completely. When higher education costs become unmanageable in Ohio, students will simply migrate to other states to finish their degrees. Without a population of well-prepared and educated citizens, Ohio will only fall deeper into deficit. Innovative and well-trained graduates make money that will be fed back to the state, plain and simple.

Be good to your students, Gov. Kasich, and your students will be good to you.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.