Kent State education students put on their Dr. Seuss hats to teach local kids about reading

Photo by Daniel Mullen

Megan Wilkinson

The Kent Student Education Association celebrated Dr. Seuss’s 107th birthday Sunday by teaching local elementary-aged school children the importance of reading and writing.

Abigail Wollenberg, senior special education major and president of the Education Association, said about 120 students in kindergarten through the third grade signed up to participate. She said the group hosts the event every two years for children in Kent city schools as well as the Child Development Center on campus.

Members with the Northeast Ohio Education Association, current teachers and retired members of the Ohio Education Association also helped out.

“It’s always centered around Dr. Seuss,” Wollenberg said. “It began in 1999 and is celebrated in other schools across the U.S. throughout the month of March.”

Wollenberg said Dr. Daniel Mahony spoke to the kids and parents to stress the importance of reading at a young age. She said kids went to seven reading-oriented stations with different crafts and projects. There were also refreshments and cake.

The Education Association has been planning the event since August 2010. Wollenberg said funding came from candy sales, T-shirt sales, a grant and reimbursement through the Center for Student Involvement .

Jessica Hubbard, senior early childhood education major, said scheduling and planning took a lot of work.

“A lot goes into the preparation,” Hubbard said. “Most people don’t realize that. We were at (Abbey Wollenberg’s) house last night for three hours getting ready.”

Hubbard said the event seemed to be really well organized this year.

“It was nice to see all the kids come in,” she said. “A lot of them got excited like it was Christmas morning when we told them they’d get their picture taken with the Cat in the Hat and have their faces painted.”

Contact Megan Wilkinson at [email protected].