‘Make Mine with Ice’ ice carving exhibition hosted downtown

Amy Cooknick

View ‘Make Mine with Ice’ events in a larger map

Downtown Kent will become the coolest place around this Saturday.

Jeff Ingram, executive director of Standing Rock Cultural Arts, said SRCA is teaming up with businesses downtown to host the 6th Annual “Make Mine with Ice” ice carving exhibition at the Home Savings Plaza at the corner of Water and Main streets from 1-4 p.m. Feb. 12.

The display will feature ice-carving demonstrations by students and faculty from both Kent State and the University of Akron.

“Ice sculpting is a unique and fascinating art form,” Ingram said. “Kent State students will have the opportunity to see sculptures created before their eyes by Kent State instructor John Goehler and some of the students of the Kent State Ice Carving Club.”

Ingram added that after the event, the sculptures will remain on display in the Plaza as long as weather and “late-night” crowds permit.

Other events include a “Spread the Warmth” knitting marathon and accessories drive by Pat Catan’s Crafts Center, a chili sale at Anthony’s Café and a bake sale courtesy of Stahl’s Bakery, Ingram said.

The knitting marathon will be held at the North Water Street Gallery, 257 N Water St. from 1-5 p.m. Feb. 12 and 13.

Anyone can participate in “Spread the Warmth” regardless of skill level in knitting and crocheting. Help will be available for beginning knitters. More experienced knitters are encouraged to bring finished items to donate. All participants will be entered in a prize drawing.

For those who aren’t quite ready to test their knitting skills, Standing Rock Cultural Arts will also accept donations of store-bought hats, scarves, gloves and mittens. All items made or donated will be delivered to a local clothing center or homeless shelter, with some handmade items sold to support SRCA programming.

“This is the first year for the ‘Spread the Warmth’ knitting marathon,” Ingram said. “We’ll evaluate how well it coincides with the ice-carving after this year’s event.”

The day’s festivities are part of D.I.C.E., a Downtown Innovative Community Event program, to bring free cultural events to Downtown Kent for both students and residents to enjoy.

Contact Amy Cooknick at [email protected].