Resources bring more awareness to Black HIV/Aids

Daniel Moore

University Health Services and three student organizations are sponsoring resource tables in the Student Center Monday for National Black HIV/Aids Awareness Day.

The Public Health Student Alliance, along with Kent State’s chapters of the NAACP and FACE AIDS, are co-sponsoring the tables with the university. The tables will have educational and promotional materials on AIDS, free risk reduction kits, safe sex kits, refreshments and a drawing for free T-shirts from the Black Aids Day website.

Patrice Deleon, a member of FACE AIDS, said there are two themes for this year’s awareness day. They’re titled, “It Takes a Village to Fight HIV/AIDS!” and, “Get Educated! Get Tested! Get Involved! Get Treated!”

Deleon said AIDS is an “epidemic” among the African American population and a “public health crisis.”

“Even though African Americans make up 13% of U.S. population, they account for about half of those who are AIDS-infected,” she said.

Deleon said the Office of Health Promotion will offer free, confidential HIV testing Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. by appointment only.

Other community outreach programs are also available for students in Cleveland, she said, and more information is available at the Black Aids Day website.

— Daniel Moore