Associate dean for faculty leaves Kent State for Northern Kentucky business school

Leighann McGivern

Richard “Rick” Kolbe, associate dean for faculty in the College of Business Administration, has accepted the position of dean at the Haile/US Bank College of Business at Northern Kentucky University.

Kolbe said he underwent various screening processes before being selected as a dean at Northern Kentucky. He has been a faculty member in the College of Business since 1992, and holds a doctorate in Business Administration from the University of Cincinnati, which he received in 1984.

Northern Kentucky’s College of Business is currently operating under an interim dean, and Kolbe will take over as dean on June 1.

“I think that you look for the opportunities that exist in the marketplace and see what are the best fits for your perspectives, where you can have the biggest impact,” Kolbe said.

“There’s times when you want to go to a different place and see new things and new people, and that’s kind of the exciting part of it. However, I will remain a Cleveland Browns fan forever, so relocating in enemy territory will not change that disposition whatsoever.”

Before being named associate dean for faculty, Kolbe said he served as the chair of the marketing department for six years. Before coming to Kent State, Kolbe was an associate professor at Washington State University and the University of Missouri. Kolbe said one of the things he is most proud of in his time at Kent State was his role in the creation of the managerial marketing program.

“It’s exceptionally well-taught and the students that go through that program have a really great experience,” Kolbe said. “I think they’re really well prepared to succeed in the world of business and in marketing.”

Paul Albanese, associate professor of marketing, said Kolbe’s managerial marketing program is unique in its curriculum.

“No other college has a total hands-on curriculum and major,” Albanese said. “He was implementing plans on a broad scale to make the college’s programs better. (Kolbe’s leaving) is an enormous loss to the College of Business.”

Julie Messing, an instructor in the marketing department, said Kolbe hired her in 2004 to develop a business plan for the new entrepreneurship program.

“Rick was so passionate about the potential for entrepreneurship at Kent State and truly the champion behind starting this program,” Messing said. “Rick oversaw the development of the program and paved the way for everything from the curriculum to reaching out to the entrepreneurial community.”

Kolbe said one of the hardest parts about leaving Kent State is knowing he will be leaving unfinished projects.

“I’d sort of like to have things closed up and finalized, but in an academic environment, things are always changing, so you kind of have to accept the fact that there’s going to be some jobs left undone,” Kolbe said.

Yank Heisler, dean of the College of Business, said Kolbe was Kent State’s first associate dean for faculty.

“We will miss his many contributions, but are really happy that he has earned this opportunity at Northern Kentucky,” Heisler said.

At Northern Kentucky, Kolbe said he plans to focus on fundraising and implementing programs to improve the reputation of the college.

“They have already had very good programs, and I just want to take them to the next level,” Kolbe said. “I also want to help the college build their reputation in the business community, not only just for its really good students but for its faculty and for its entity unto itself.”

Kolbe said he most looks forward to being able to have a fresh start in a new place.

“There’s times when you want to go to a different place and see new things and new people, and that’s kind of the exciting part of it,” Kolbe said. “However, I will remain a Cleveland Browns fan forever, so relocating in enemy territory will not change that disposition whatsoever.”

Contact Leighann McGivern at [email protected].