KSU Mail Services hosts seminars to educate faculty and staff

Megan Wilkinson

It’s easy for people to be confused about how the mailing system works, according to Kent State staff.

Mail Services is hosting a series of four seminars this semester to educate faculty and staff on how to use the campus mailing system. Steve Finley, manager of mail services, said he came up with the idea to host the seminars last spring. He said his vice president agreed that faculty and staff around campus need more education on mailing services.

“I am trying to cut through the confusion many people have when working with the Post Office and their rules, regulations and terminologies,” Finley said.

Finley said it is important for all administrative staff working with mail in their departments to attend his mail seminars this semester. He said people who don’t keep up on mailing lists in their department are more likely to make mistakes, which could cause misdeliveries.

“Some of the employees are really well-versed when dealing with mail,” Finley said, “but others could still use improvement. The USPS changes its rules and regulations with rates regularly, so keeping up with these is almost a full-time job in itself.”

Finley said it costs a little more in postage to forward all misdeliveries.

The first seminar was Feb. 3, and it covered mailing basics and standards. Finley explained how the mail industry works and gave tips on the fastest and cheapest ways to send mail.

He said Thursday’s seminar is called “Move Update” and will provide information about mailing lists.

Finley said last semester, there was an average attendance of 14 people per seminar. Although the seminars are designed to fit 20 people, only three Kent State staff members attended the Feb. 3 lesson.

“There was a lot more attendance during the fall seminars,” Finley said. “I think the timing has something to do with it. Last semester, the seminars were closer to lunchtime, so I think more people are generally able to come in at that time.”

Finley said people who are interested can still sign up for future seminars online.

Beth Lattimer, secretary for the Dean of the College of Communication and Information, said she attended some of the seminars last fall. She said the seminars were informal and gave her department valuable information for handling mail.

“The seminars can be helpful to a lot of people,” Lattimer said. “They’re useful to anyone who has to work with huge mailing lists.”

Deanna Burritt-Peffer, senior secretary of the School of Lifespan Development and Education Sciences, attended the Feb. 3 seminar. She said she recommends attending.

“It was good to get some basics on how to get things sent out so things go as smoothly as possible,” Burritt-Peffer said.

Finley said he advises faculty and staff to keep mailing lists updated and addresses as complete as possible. He also said to make the return address as clear as possible so mail and packages do not get lost.

“Don’t hesitate to call (mailing services) with any mail or shipping related questions,” Finley said.

Contact Megan Wilkinson at [email protected]