Stone Tavern replaces Professor’s Pub

Anthony Savatt performs his stand-up act at the Stone Tavern on Monday night. Savatt will host comedy night every Monday starting at 800 p.m. at the Stone Tavern, which is located on the corner of Main and Water Street. Photo by Coty Giannelli.

Rachel Hagenbaugh

There aren’t many places near campus to find live music and comedy. Stone Tavern, formerly Professor’s Pub on East Main Street, has all that and much more.

Louis DelBene, owner of the Stone Tavern, acquired the business and wanted to continue the venue. The biggest difference customers of Professor’s Pub might notice about Stone Tavern is the cosmetic changes. Salvaged architecture and antique furniture were used to make the back bar, DelBene said.

The tavern’s walls, which used to be painted black, are now a creamy-yellow color and are set up for rotating art shows. DelBene said the paintings currently on the south and west walls were done by Briar Rantilla, a Kent State alumnus. Rantilla will be choosing the artists for the rotating art shows. Every 6-8 weeks, a new artist’s creations will be displayed.

“The main goal is to promote art, culture and music,” DelBene said.

He said he plans to have entertainment five nights out of the week. Every Monday night is stand-up comedy.

Starting Feb. 2, the tavern will feature Wednesday Night with Bremmy James, a guitarist and vocalist for Akron-based band, The Unclean, where he will be mixing live music.

Every other Thursday, Square Records, located in Akron’s Highland Square, will be spinning vinyl and bringing in live, local music, DelBene said. On the other Thursday nights, Vinyl Underground Records in Kent will be doing the same thing.

On weekends, DelBene said he wants to bring in local, regional and touring acts. Though DelBene said he wouldn’t shy away from experimental music, all of what is played is going to “have an edge.” Rock, jazz and will all be featured at the tavern.

“It’s not going to be a battle of the high school bands,” he said.

The Stone Tavern will also be doing cross-promotional events with other venues. Standing Rock Cultural Arts, held in the North Water Street Gallery, will also be shown in the Stone Tavern, said DelBene.

Interested in performing for Monday’s night comedy stand-up?

Email Anthony Savatt at [email protected].

“My favorite part about this place is that it’s the only comedy showcase in Kent,” said Anthony Savatt, host of Monday night’s comedy stand-up.

The tavern is a place for new comedians to perform and experienced comedians to try their new material. Savatt said he sets the line-up ahead of time and prefers people he’s seen perform before. He is willing to allow new talent, but he must be contacted ahead of time.

“There’s never more than two first-timers on the stage because I want to keep the quality of the show consistent,” he said.

The tavern attracts enough comedians that it generally will not feature the same people two weeks in a row, Savatt said. Local and touring comedians performed in the same building when it was Professor’s Pub, and Savatt said he plans to keep that tradition going.

“Comedians traveling from New York to L.A. could pass through and we’ll try to get them to come here,” he said.

Contact Rachel Hagenbaugh at [email protected].