New semester brings Damon’s, more free entertainment to Rathskeller

The Rathskeller staff prepares for the upcoming spring musical, which will include a variety of indie bands, on Saturday. With the installation of Damon’s Grill at the beginning of January, high prospects of turnout are expected. Photo by Megann Galehouse.

Anthony Dominic

Kent State students looking for good food and free entertainment this semester will have to look no further than the Rathskeller.

Alex Tucker, Undergraduate Student Government research and co-booking chairman, has ensured his last semester at Kent State will be a memorable one, not only for himself, but also for any student who visits the Student Center’s lower level.

“It’s a super diverse campus and it’s hard to please everyone,” Tucker said. “But I really think there will be something for everyone to come out and enjoy this semester.”

Last semester was a success for the Rathskeller, according to Tucker. Popular events such as November’s Ratt Fest, as well as meeting all of their goals “and then some,” led Tucker and Della M. Marshall, associate director of the Center for Student Involvement, to schedule nearly 30 bands to perform at the Rathskeller through April. This includes popular touring indie bands such as Winslow, Divided By Friday and Life On Repeat.

Tucker and Marshall both believe Damon’s Grill will not only contribute to the atmosphere of the Rathskeller, but also help draw in large crowds.

“The big thing with Damon’s is that it’s going to create an instant draw to these shows,” Tucker said. “People are going to be coming down, getting food, and will already be in the entertainment atmosphere.”

Marshall said she’s excited about Damon’s because it is open on weekends and has longer hours than Pete’s Arena.

“Unlike Pete’s, Damon’s will be open during many of our events, allowing for students to enjoy the food while they enjoy the show,” Marshall said. “Not only will Damon’s bring the food out to your table for you, but even after they close, the bar will still be able to serve appetizers and drinks.”

Tucker said the Rathskeller will also host a Battle of the Bands competition in March, which will feature local acts competing for prizes, including an opening spot at FlashFest in the summer and studio recording time.

Tucker and Marshall are still looking for more acts to perform this semester, adding that the Rathskeller welcomes artists of all genres, though they prefer when Kent State students are in the bands.

“That’s one key thing that would get your band booked there quicker than anything,” Tucker said. “We really like to try to showcase Kent State talent.”

Outside of musical entertainment, USG is continuing its Thursday night comedy this semester. Marshall said students would have a chance to see premier stand-up comedians in the Rathskeller without charge.

“We have some great upcoming comedians who have performed at Hilarities and the House of Blues in Cleveland,” Marshall said. “You’ll pay 15 or 20 dollars to see them there, but in (the) Rathskeller, you’re getting the same entertainment for free.”

Sophomore fashion design major J.J. Fecik said he is looking forward to everything the Rathskeller has to offer this semester.

“It’ll be really nice that Damon’s will be open on the weekend during these shows,” Fecik said. “I always felt the Rathskeller was an asset to Kent State and it’s great to see that they’re using it well.”

Freshman interior design major Michelle Hayes said she also enjoys the Rathskeller, but wished she were more up-to-date on its events.

“I just wish there was a bit more advertising so I was better informed on these things,” Hayes said. “I go home a lot of weekends, but if I knew about more of these shows and events, I may stick around.”

Eight bands will be playing at the Rathskeller this weekend, CSI’s website said. The shows start at 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday and are free to Kent State students with their student ID and $2 for the general public.

Contact Anthony Dominic at [email protected].