Schedule analysis of Kent State courses offered for fall 2020

Kent State University Course Types

Connor Steffen, Reporter

Kent State University is nearing the official reopening of its campuses this fall with classes set to resume Aug. 27. In the midst of a pandemic, course offerings this semester look fairly different from previous years. 

Across all Kent State campuses, class options this fall include in-person courses, remote courses, hybrid courses and web courses, according to the university. 

In June, Kent State announced it expected to offer 40 percent of fall courses in-person and the remaining 60 percent remotely. Now, as most class schedules are finalized, students have a better picture of what is ahead.

According to data offered by Kent State’s detailed class search interface, of all courses finalized so far across all of its campuses, 1,238 are face-to-face [13.9 percent], 3,619 are remote [40.6 percent], 435 are hybrid [4.9 percent] and 1,457 are web-based [16.4 percent]. 

Another 2,160 courses [24.2 percent] were marked as “to be announced” [TBA] because their locations are still being finalized.

A majority of these class types are clinical laboratories [CLN], master’s theses [MST], practical experiences [PRA], dissertations [DSR], research [RES], flight training [FLT], individual investigations [IND], studios [STU] or other off-campus learning experiences. 

Kent State’s main campus offers 6,325 different courses. 1,024 are in-person, 2,261 are remote, 338 are hybrid and 886 are web-based. An additional 1,816 are marked TBA.

The remaining 2,584 courses are offered at seven of KSU’s branch campus sites. These include the Ashtabula, East Liverpool, Geauga, Salem, Stark, Trumbull and Tuscarawas campuses. 

They offer 214 in-person courses, 1,358 remote courses, 97 hybrid courses, 571 web courses and 344 courses marked as TBA.

Given the uncertainty of reopening during a pandemic, Kent State acknowledges that any classes offered may be subject to change at any time before or during the fall semester.

Students who need assistance learning how to navigate face-to-face, remote and online classes can sign up for free coaching by contacting their academic adviser or by visiting KSU’s online learning help page.  

Contact Connor Steffen at [email protected].