Our View: Have some pride, Kent State

DKS Editors

What are you doing this weekend?

Checking out the late-night movie at the Kiva? Cheering on the Kent State men’s basketball team Sunday afternoon? Going home?

It is no secret Kent State is a suitcase campus. Most of us are close enough that we can go home on the weekends. After all, laundry is free, and the food is usually better.

But why not stick around Kent and get involved in something?

One thing we’ve noticed around campus is the lack of pride students have toward Kent State. On any given day, you could count just as many — if not more — Ohio State shirts on campus as Kent State shirts. Unless ESPN is in town, student attendance at basketball or football games is sparse.

In November, after the men’s basketball team beat Robert Morris on national TV in the M.A.C. Center, Colonials coach Andrew Toole backhandedly remarked on his surprise at the low student turnout. Granted, that game tipped off at 8 a.m., but still, no one could disagree with him.

It’s not just about attending sporting events, though. Having pride in Kent State could mean getting involved in Undergraduate Student Government or hall council. You could attend the numerous concerts, speakers, movies or plays on campus. You could choose to enjoy your time as a student here, instead of just going to classes until you graduate.v

The university’s done plenty to foster involvement and pride in the last year. The number of weekend and late-night events seems to skyrocket every semester. Sure, we don’t always agree with everything the university does, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be proud to be Kent State students.

We’re here for four or five years paying tuition (many of us out of our own pockets) and taking classes. We might as well make the most of it.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent State editorial board.