RPA_08_Wells_Esplanade

Heather Wells

Anchor Intro:

College Street, along with Lincoln and Willow may soon become a part of campus. KSU is working on a project that will extend the University Esplanade to downtown Kent. TV-2 reporter, Heather Wells, has the story.

Script:

Kent State University has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars buying houses like this one on South Lincoln Street, so they can use the property for campus expansion.

The city of Kent, along with the University’s administration, wants a stronger connection between the Kent city and campus.

Kent State University architect, Michael Bruder, says that the city and the University have been working together to extend the University Esplanade to the downtown area.

BRUDER: “WE FEEL STRONGLY THAT WE NEED THIS PEDESTRIAN CONNECTION BETWEEN CAMPUS AND DOWNTOWN.”

The city of Kent and KSU have received grants from the Department of Transportation to help pay for the costs of the project.

BRUDER: “A GRANT THAT UH WE RECEIVED FOR $700,000, THAT IS GOING TO PAY FOR A LARGE PORTION OF THE WORK TO DO THAT PEDESTRIAN CONNECTION FROM THAT FRANKLIN HALL AREA AND LINCOLN TO HAYMAKER PARKWAY.”

STANDUP: I’M STANDING HERE ON COLLEGE STREET IN FRONT OF ONE OF THE HOUSES THAT THE UNIVERSITY HAS PURCHASED. NOW, IT IS UNCLEAR AT THIS TIME WHAT THE UNIVERSITY PLANS ON DOING WITH THE PROPERTY, BUT THE OVERALL GOAL IS TO CONNECT HILLTOP WITH HAYMAKER BRINGING MORE TRAFFIC TO THE DOWNTOWN AREA AND DOWNTOWN BUSINESS OWNERS COULDN’T BE MORE EXCITED.

Cass Mayfield is the owner of the Gallery, downtown. She’s not only looking forward to seeing more students in the downtown area, but she will also be taking part in selecting art work and sculptures that will decorate esplanade.

MAYFIELD: “WE’RE SELECTING SCULPTURE AND PLACING SCULPTURE ON CAMPUS AND ALL ALONG…THEY STARTED CALLING IT THE ART MILE. WE LOVE ALL OF THE THINGS THAT ARE HAPPENING BETWEEN THE UNIVERSITY AND DOWNTOWN, IT’S VERY ENCOURAGING.”

For TV-2 News, I’m Heather Wells.

Anchor Outro:

Bruder says that the area where the expanding esplanade will be could one day be used for expanding the University. Academic buildings and dormitories may eventually replace the party houses of College and Lincoln Street.

Take PCKG: 1:37

CG: Michael Bruder/University architect/ 0:26

CG: Heather Wells/TV-2 Reporter/ 0:50

CG: Cass Mayfield/Downtown Business Owner/1:21