RPA_08_Forthofer_SnowLaw

Winter has arrived in full force this week with our first big snow of the season.

The Kent City plows are out and on top of keeping the roads cleared…but what about the sidewalks?

SOT Stacy Wilson:

“I WALK TO CLASS EVERYDAY AND IT’S VERY ANNOYING WHEN I HAVE TO RUN OVER SNOW PILES AND DIG THROUGH SNOW TO GET TO CLASS.”

SOT Bridget Mahoney:

“I FEEL THAT THE SIDEWALKS SHOULD BE CLEAN, BUT I KEEP FINDING THAT THEY’RE NOT.”

Stand Up:

“STUDENTS AND PEDESTRIANS FIND THAT UNCLEARED SIDEWALKS ARE AN INCONVEINIENCE AND A SAFETY CONCERN. WHAT THEY MAY NOT KNOW IS THAT IN 2010 THE CITY OF KENT BEGAN ENFORCING A NEW LAW THAT WILL KEEP THE PATHS CLEAR.”

Kent’s Code Enforcement Officer, Troy Loomis, said concerns from residents regarding sidewalk issues in the past triggered the development of the new law.

SOT, Troy Loomis, Kent Code Enforcement Officer:

“WE HAVE A LOT OF PEDESTRIAN TRAFFIC IN TOWN. A LOT OF THEM STARTED TO VOICE THEIR CONCERNS WITH US.”

Loomis is in charge of investigating, ticketing and enforcing the sidewalk snow ordinance.

Kent residents need to remember that the City is NOT responsible for the clearing of any non-city owned property. Not keeping up with your properties walks is in violation of City law.

SOT, Troy:

“IF THEY DON’T FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THE WRITTEN WARNING WE COME ACROSS WITH A CIVIL INFRACTION FINE WHICH STARTS WITH $100.”

City Council member, Heidi Shaffer, says that although this is a serious issue for all Kent residents, the City’s limited manpower strains their ability to handle every offender.

SOT, Heidi Shaffer, Kent City Council member:

“WE’RE REALLY GOING AFTER THE WORST SITUATIONS FIRST. SO WE’RE GOING AFTER THE OBSTRUCTIONS.”

Shaffer stresses that the only way to eliminate the problem altogether is to contribute as a community and remember the effort affects everyone around you.

SOT Stacy:

“THEY SHOULD TAKE THE EXTRA EFFORT TO SHOVEL AND MAKE SURE THAT WE’RE SAFE… WE END UP HAVING TO WALK ON THE ROAD WHICH IS VERY DANGEROUS.”

SOT Heidi:

“IT’S THE RIGHT THING TO DO, IT’S THE NEIGHBORLY THING TO DO AND IT IS AN ORIDANCE ON OUR BOOKS.”

For TV2 News, I’m Lauren Forthofer