RPA_Vietmeier_JustinManns

Bethany Vietmeier

Anchor intro:

Most division one athletes have been playing the sport they are participating in for many years, and it has become almost second nature to them. But one Kent State athlete has a unique story about his journey to division one athletics. TV-2 sports reporter Bethany Vietmeier met with the athlete.

COULD YOU IMAGINE A 7-FOOT TALL ATHLETIC INDIVIDUAL WHO NEVER EVEN PLAYED COMPETITIVE BASKETBALL UNTIL HIS SENIOR YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL? WELL, THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED WITH KENT STATE’S STARTING CENTER, JUSTIN MANNS.

STAND-UP:

JUSTIN ALWAYS THOUGHT OF BASKETBALL AS JUST A HOBBY BUT BEFORE HIS SENIOR YEAR SOMETHING CHANGED HIS MIND.

Sot:

I had a sit down with my uncle and he told me playing basketball could be a ticket for you to get a full scholarship, for your mom not to pay for anything, for a chance at college. It’ll just open a lot of doors for you.

ONE OF THE DOORS THAT OPENED UP TO JUSTIN WAS TO KENT STATE BUT WHAT MADE KSU DIFFERENT FROM ALL THE OTHER SCHOOLS TARGETING JUSTIN?

SOT:

When I came on my visit here, its just the chemistry with the team in the locker room like how they jell together and how they bond together. I guess the tradition here is its like a family. I saw that and was like WOW this is the school I should be at because if you got good chemistry on the team anything can happen.

WITH GOOD CHEMISTRY ALREADY HERE, JUSTIN WONDERED WHAT HE COULD BRING TO THE GOLDEN FLASHES.

SOT:

I’m very athletic, very agile, very skilled in a lot of positions but I’m still learning at the same time. So while I’m learning I’m grasping new stuff so I got a lot of potential. I feel I’m a good shot blocker

It’s about sending a message, a rim-shaking dunk just added 2 points but a block is taking away 2 points from my opponent. It’s sending a message like you coming against a 7-footer trying to shoot a shot and it’s not gonna happen.

AND WITH JUSTIN’S PRESENCE IN THE MIDDLE THE KENT STATE FANS CAN EXPECT BIG THINGS FROM GOLDEN FLASHES BASKETBALL TEAM.

SOT:

We still bonding together, jelling together, trying to have that good bond so we can repeat something that hasn’t been done in about 20 years and that’s win to the MAC season 2 years in a row.

FOR TV2 SPORTS, I’M BETHANY VIETMEIER.

Anchor tag:

Last season Justin was a red shirted, but this year he will be a great addition to the Golden Flashes.