RPA_11_Heiks_SalvationArmy

Deminique Heiks

Anchor Intro:

The bells are ringing with the sound of Salvation Army volunteers.

But now that ringing is coming from a computer, with the new online red kettle.

Demi Heiks has more…

Package Script:

NATSOT: Bell ringing

VO: It’s that time of year again and we all know that sound.

VO: Salvation Army volunteers like Zach Parr are braving temperatures in the low 30’s to collect change in their red kettles.

SOT Zach: “When it’s cold out you don’t even have to worry about it, you just shiver and it rings.”

VO: To Salvation Army Corps officer and pastor jaunita Stanford a little help from the community and from volunteers goes a long way.

SOT Captain Juanita Stanford: “Every time that we can have a volunteer to fill in the gap for us, we’re able to help another family with utilities, we’re able to help another child with their after-school needs, we’re able to help another senior get comforted and some care and visitation so every dollar does count and those volunteers are critical to what we do.”

Stand-up: “This holiday season, you don’t have to go out in the blistering cold to give back to your community. You can donate to the Salvation Army’s online red kettle from the comfort of your home.”

SOT Captain Juanita Stanford: “I actually love the idea. We haven’t really explored it or promoted it as much this year, but as we’re learning some of the new applications and processes, we’re promoting them as best we can, so it they’re any virtual bell ringers out there, we’re glad to have your support. All that money does come here.”

VO: Online users, like Kent State student Annie Thompson, find the new donation method quite convenient.

SOT Annie: “I think it will provide a lot more opportunity for people to donate money, because you can donate from anywhere, you don’t need to be outside a store now.”

VO: For TV2, I’m Demi Heiks.

Critique:

I think this is my favorite story. I think it was fun and people would enjoy watching it. It has the holiday giving angle, plus the new technology angle. There is a little something for everyone to enjoy about it. The only thing people may not like are Juanita’s long SOTs, but she is too interesting to cut.