RPA_06_Etzel_FolkFestival

Spenser Etzel

Intro:

It’s that time of the year again, where the musicians come out with their instruments.

That’s right, the Folk Festival took place this past weekend.

And TV2 reporter Spenser Etzel was there to show us how it affects the city of Kent.

Length: 02:01:06

CG:

Wayne Wilson (City Councilman): 00:32:02

Spenser Etzel (TV2 Reporter): 00:41:22

Anthony Dodds (Bartender at Ray’s Place): 01:06:01

Dan Smith (Kent’s Economic Development Director): 01:20:28

Chris Wise (Canton Resident): 01:37:06

Ann VerWiebe (WKSU Marketing Associate): 01:48:22

NAT: Guitar

This year was the 44th annual Folk Festival hosted by WKSU radio station in Kent.

Friday was the Folk Alley ‘Round Town, which featured live music from 35 different venues throughout the day.

The funding came from the Celebrate Kent! Grant, which is awarded to different events and programs.

Last year, the Folk Festival got $7,500 from the grant, while this year it was pushed back to $2,500.

The City Council voted this past month for increasing the Celebrate Kent Fund for next year, but some members were against it.

SOT (Wilson): MY OPINION IS WITH THE BUDGET WE HAVE RIGHT NOW, WE’VE BEEN HAVING TO HOLD PRETTY STATUS QUO. WE’RE NOT BROKE, BUT THE MONEY IS GETTING TIGHTER AND TIGHTER BY THE DAY.

STANDUP: THE CELEBRATE KENT FUND INCREASED FROM $11,00 TO $30,000 THIS PAST YEAR. THAT COULD MEAN MORE MONEY FOR THE FOLK FESTIVAL FOR NEXT YEAR. BUSINESSES AROUND KENT LOVE THE FOLK FESTIVAL BECAUSE IT BRINGS NEW CUSTOMERS INTO THEIR BUSINESS.

Places like Backerei, the Ohio Music Store and even Ray’s Place see a lot more business during the Folk Festival.

SOT (Dodds): I GET TO ENJOY GREAT MUSIC AND COME OUT AND EAT SOME GOOD FOOD AND SUPPORT THE LOCAL BUSINESSES. I THINK THAT’S A GREAT THING.

Dan Smith, Kent’s economic development director, thinks the Folk Festival is a great idea.

SOT (Smith): THERE’S ONLY A HANDFUL OF REALLY BIG EVENTS IN THE CITY OF KENT EACH YEAR: THE HERITAGE FESTIVAL, HALLOWEEN, ART IN THE PARK AND I’D PUT THE FOLK FESTIVAL RIGHT UP THERE WITH IT AS ONE OF THE TOP FOUR EVENTS IN OUR CITY.

People from all over come here to listen to some music and shop around the area.

SOT (Wise): I ALWAYS LIKE TO WALK THE STREETS A LITTLE BIT, STOP IN THE LITTLE PLACES. I LIKE TO GO TO WOODSY’S MUSIC. I HAVE BEEN GOING THERE A LONG TIME.

And plans for next year’s festival are already underway.

SOT (VerWiebe): NEXT WEEK WE ARE STARTING OUR PLANS FOR NEXT YEAR. WE’RE GOING TO MOVE THE FOLK FESTIVAL TO SEPTEMBER, THE END OF SEPTEMBER.

For TV2 news, I’m Spenser Etzel.

Tag:

The festival is moving to September because of how cold the weather can be in November.

For more information on the festival, visit W W W DOT KENT STATE FOLK FESTIVAL DOT ORG