LGBT minor receives endowed scholarship

Lydia Coutré

The LGBT Studies minor received $30,000 to endow a scholarship for students in the program.

The gift came from Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays of Northeast Ohio, an educational, support and advocacy volunteer group. The donation was made possible by Harold Sylvester, a previous treasurer of the organization who left his estate to PFLAG.

“He left it for educational purposes and we have used it in many different ways, among them the scholarship programs that we’ve sponsored,” said David Horowitz, local board member and president of PFLAG’s national board of directors. “In addition to that we also have used that money to try to educate the general community in terms of the LGBT community.”

Of the full amount, $2,000 is immediately available, which Molly Merryman, co-coordinator of the LGBT studies program, said will be awarded in Fall 2011.

“Members of Akron PFLAG want to be part of the scholarship committee and so we’re going to work with them in the spring just to work out the details and come up with the specific application form and what the process is,” Merryman said.

Requirements for receiving the minor include academic grades and financial need. The recipient must be enrolled in the LGBT studies minor program, an Ohio resident and identify as LGBTQ, said Brian Thornton, manager of Advancement Communications.

Bill Libby, Akron PFLAG board member, said the opening of the LGBTQ Center last spring drew their attention to Kent State.

“We’re just happy that the university was enthusiastic about us doing this with them,” Libby said. “Some circumstances would make it that this wouldn’t be this open… We just think this is wonderful.”

Other donations the LGBT studies minor have received include the Curry and Myers endowed scholarship, a $25,000 gift made in 2003, a fund for the program to use for its needs and a recent anonymous $500 donation for an LGBTQ student emergency scholarship for any student who identifies as LGBTQ and is cut off from family support.

Horowitz said he hopes the PFLAG donation will help do the same to support students whose family cuts off support during the coming out process.

“The reality is that students who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, often — not always, certainly — but often find themselves amid a divorce from family and family support and for that reason we have felt it important to try to help them continue to gain their education,” Horowitz said.

The LGBT studies minor was the first in Ohio when it was created in 2001 and is one of two in the state today. Merryman said she hopes this will raise awareness about the program and encourage others to add to PFLAG’s endowment fund, which is open to other contributions.

“Then ultimately what’s going to happen is the foundation account will grow, and we’ll be able to form that into additional scholarships,” Merryman said. “That way anyone who’s even making a small contribution can know that that’s going to immediately go into assisting students.”

The gift comes during a time when Merryman said they are working to “expand and revitalize the minor,” as they revamp the curriculum as well.

“Curricular changes make it easier for students to complete the minor, and this scholarship makes it possible,” Merryman said.

Contact Lydia Coutré at

[email protected].