Community comes out for Boo U

Issac Profitt

Vampires, goblins and fairies all found their way from children’s books to Kent State Stark for the third annual Boo U. It is a fall celebration for parents to bring their little monsters to trick-or-treat and enjoy storytelling, games and a swamp walk.

The children got a complete Halloween experience thanks to all of the trick-or-treat tables, each of which was decorated by a different student organization. Kent Stark’s Stark Campus Dean Walter Wagor posed a competition where the group with best-decorated table won a monetary prize.

Beverly Potch of North Canton brought her daughter who was dressed as Pebbles from the Flintstones cartoon.

“She’s a great artist so she’s looking forward to the art contest and coloring,” Potch said. “I love seeing these kids’ faces. It’s such a good time.”

The event has been a success since it was launched, bringing in more than 1000 people every year. The night’s highlight was the spooky storytelling in the Campus Center building, where children gathered for interactive book reading and a science experiment.

Rachel Figueroa, marketing coordinator for Stark campus, assisted in organizing the fun-night.

“This is a real community event because several organizations came together to make this happen,” Figueroa said. “There were even fliers being passed around in local schools so the kids are excited well before the event.”

Boo U is a joint effort by Stark’s Ohio Collegiate Music Education Association and the Kent Stark Music Club. Students, faculty and members of organizations such as the United Way volunteered for the event.

Beth Recob, junior music education major, was the stunning princess who was passing out candy. This is her third year working on Boo U.

“It’s a great way to get the kids exposed to college early,” Recob said. “It sends the message that yes we’re a small college, but still a fun college.”

Contact Issac Profitt at [email protected].