Groups unite for weeklong commuter event

Amanda Hoffman

The Center for Student Involvement put together a safety awareness week focusing on commuters to help show students how to have a safe but fun night in Kent. Every day this week, “Check It or Wreck It” has a full schedule planned with activities and speakers to help inform students.

The Commuter and Off-campus Social Organization teamed up with CSI to help promote their events for Kent State commuters. Michael Ballash, assistant director of COSO, said the week was geared toward “gaining members, networking, and meeting new people.”

“We are always doing stuff to get members,” said Zane Powell, executive director of COSO. “(We want to) make commuters aware there is an organization for them.”

On Monday, COSO was outside of the M.A.C. Center with Black Squirrel Radio from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. providing information about their organization. Ballash said Monday’s informational booth was to help promote COSO’s “treat” on Wednesday for KSU commuters.

At 8 p.m. Monday night, Dan Wrona of RISE Partnerships held a presentation in Bowman Hall Room 133 called “From Hazing to Health.”

Also happening on “Check It or Wreck It” week:

Tuesday, Oct. 26

At 6 p.m. in Room 318 of the Student Center, Student Legal Services and the Kent State Police Department will be informing students about how to party without getting in trouble. KSU Police will be talking about what to do when you are cited for a noise violation and what your rights and responsibilities are when that happens.

Wednesday, Oct. 27

From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., a resource table will be set up outside of the Campus Bookstore. Students can pick up information from COSO, the Women’s Center, Planned Parenthood and Health Promotions. The resource table will also have information about a self-defense class offered at the Student Recreation and Health Center.

From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., COSO will be outside of the M.A.C. Center at an information table with Black Squirrel Radio. COSO will be holding its weatherization clinic for commuters in the driveway of the M.A.C. Center.

Powell said Flynn’s Tires will provide a free service of checking various fluid, air and oil levels to help ensure safe driving for commuters before the winter weather begins.

“This is a little something we can do for commuters,” Ballash said.

Along with Flynn’s Tires, COSO has also invited Magic City Customs to help promote.

Friday, Oct. 29

Kent State’s annual Sextoberfest event will be held at 8 p.m. in the Kent Student Center Ballroom. Sextoberfest provides students with information and freebies to make sure students are safe when it comes to sex and relationships.

Contact Amanda Hoffman at [email protected].